“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it.”Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
How about approaching this new year with 3 action steps to increase your confidence, boost performance, drink more water, sleep better, get out in nature, and experience a brighter you? Every new year, we love to set goals for ourselves in the hopes of making big lifestyle changes. Instead of going “big”, how about starting small and simple? With goals that are too big we can easily quit and feel overwhelmed.
Three simple steps can easily enhance your current lifestyle. They will become so consistent you’ll eventually consider them a habit and, with patience, they will lead you to even greater change. There is no need to quit this and quit that – keep it simple and focus on what you can add into your life vs. what you think you need to eliminate.
Here are three easy action steps that will enhance your health, help your performance in your daily life and boost your confidence, leaving you feeling like a brighter version of yourself. Once these become daily habits, you can continue on and add more. Small steps can lead to big changes. The key to success is to learn to master small and easy so that you can continue to add more small and easy.
Step One – Add more water
Sounds easy right? For some it is but for others it’s not. When I was younger and overweight, water became one of the biggest keys to my weight loss. I used to drink two or three cokes a day, regular water intake was not a habit for me. I first replaced the cokes with ice tea and then after a while I went to water. I tried to drink at least 8 320z bottles of water a day. That was when I was 19 or 20 years old? I am now 46 and it is a constant in my life.
I carry around a 32oz hydro flask and drink 3 of them a day if not 4 (that’s 96 to 128oz). I begin early in the morning (as soon as I get up) and finish off in the evening. I love my flask of water, I’ve decorated with fun stickers from my travels and carry it with me everywhere from the grocery store to Costa Rica to Canada. Wherever I go, it travels with, no matter how close or far – it’s my constant companion.
- Start with 8oz a day, work your way up to 16, get to 24 and then 32. Keep adding as you go until eventually you are getting what you need. Start with an easy daily goal and then keep adding – BUT keep your goal realistic for you.
- Next, buy a super fun water bottle! Is there a color you like? Is there a brand you like? Water can be boring, so make this a fun habit!
- The benefits – water will help with weight loss, flush toxins out of your system, keep you feeling fuller for longer, boost your energy throughout the day, will leave your skin looking brighter, lubricate the joints, can help with constipation – just to name a few!
Step Two – Enhance your sleep with a nightly skin care routine and some lavender oil on your feet, wrists and temples
I love having a nightly routine that nourishes my skin and lets my body and mind know that it’s time to relax, unwind and get a good night’s sleep. Though this one I have had to work at to get it consistent but I’m there! I have never been great at taking care of my skin, in fact it’s just been in the past few years that I have come to love it. It makes me feel good about myself (boosts my confidence), my skin looks and feels better and it’s like I have washed off the day and am preparing myself for a good night’s sleep.
Some people will say it’s all about the products you use, however I truly believe that whatever you can afford and enjoy using is perfect. It’s all about loving and nourishing yourself. Your body loves you unconditionally, so what a perfect way to love it back. And such an easy habit to start and make consistent. Once you have brushed your teeth, you cleanse, tone and moisturize – simple, easy and fun!
I would recommend finding products you love or a company you love. I personally have found this local company here in Texas, they grow their own herbs and plants for their skin care products and rescue animals! I love the all natural route and I find their prices extremely reasonable. When nourishing your skin, you want to feel this “wow! this is so luxurious and feels amazing to look after myself like this!”. To enhance your skin care routine shop around and buy something that makes you feel that luxuriousness and richness.
Now you are ready to jump into bed. But right before you do, open up that bottle of lavender beside your bed and rub some on the bottoms of your feet. Put a little on your wrists, a little behind your ears and maybe a drop or two on your temples. Now you are ready for bed and your body will begin to move into relaxation mode and a good night’s sleep. Lavender oil is known to help with relaxation and can also improve the quality of rest. I have been using it for years and love it as a part of my nightly routine. Even my husband asks for some on occasion and he is not the self care type of guy… And sometimes he will even do a chocolate mask with me!
A good night’s sleep is important and does wonders for the body and mind.
- Boost your immune system
- Help prevent weight gain
- Increase productivity and give you energy for exercise
- Boost your mood – just to name a few.
So help your body and mind unwind with a good nightly routine. It’s one of my favorite things, getting a good night’s sleep and waking up feeling refreshed and ready for the day!
Step Three – Leave your phone at home & get out in nature
Energize your body, mind and soul by getting yourself to a park. Leave your phone at home so you can allow yourself to enjoy the whole experience. To make this easy and habitual, find a park or trail close to home or one that’s close to the office. The closer it is to home or office, the easier it is to get out there and enjoy on a consistent basis. Remember, we want this to be easy and fun.
- Being out in the sunshine and open air is great for your immune system, you’ll get your Vitamin D
- It can help clear your mind and even inspire you with new ideas. A runner I see on the trail all the time once told me she gets her best ideas while she’s out running! Sometimes I even start writing my blog while I am out running with my dogs
- It can lower your blood pressure, promote better sleep, encourage you to exercise and promote an overall feeling of happiness and wellness!
Plan this a once, twice or even three times a week. Go as far as planning which days, what times and put in your calendar for the week. Map out a route or plug in a time – 20 minutes, 30 or 45 minutes – how much time do you have? Be realistic with yourself. Remember, this is also time for YOU. Make yourself a priority and give your body, mind and soul the time it needs and deserves. Rejuvenate and refresh for the rest of your day!
There you are! 3 action steps for a brighter you! Add water. Improve your sleep with a nightly skin care routine some lavender oil. Leave your phone at home and get out in nature. You’ll improve your health, boost your confidence and your daily performance.
- Start small.
- Be realistic with your self to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- Practice being consistent.
- Put each step in your calendar so you have a reminder, note the day and time that you will accomplish them and give yourself a smily face once you have accomplished your personal goal.
- Keep your focus on what you are doing vs. focusing on what you are not.
Most of all have fun! A brighter you will emerge before you know it! And let me know how are you doing, I would love to hear from you.
“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, power and grace in it.” Goethe